- This event has passed.
Helping Children & Teens with Loss (Online)
January 6, 2022 @ 1:00 pm - January 27, 2022 @ 3:00 pm
Helping Children with Loss is for ADULTS ONLY.
Cost: Ticket covers all 4 sessions, a copy of Helping Children with Loss and workbook.
As a parent, teacher, or professional who works with children, you have undoubtedly experienced that sinking feeling that occurs when children ask difficult questions about death and loss, or are experiencing sad and painful feelings.
We know how difficult it can be to find the right words to comfort a child. We don’t want to say the wrong thing, but we also want to connect with the child and offer our support. Finding this balance is challenging if you don’t have the right tools for the job.
Helping Children with Loss is a 4-week online workshop which provides parents, teachers and anyone who works with children with the specific tools for helping a child of any age and/or ability level with a personal loss of any kind. On average, most children will encounter 15 significant losses before they reach adulthood. The most common losses for children and teenagers include:
- Loss of a grandparent
- Loss of a pet
- Changing schools
- Having a close friend move away
- Not making the team
- Being rejected from their university of choice
After completion of this course, participants will have the confidence and the ability to communicate effectively with children and teenagers on the topics of grief and loss, as well as specific tools for helping a young person recover from bereavement. The Workshop’s techniques have been adapted for children using the evidence-based Grief Recovery Method, which has been successful at helping thousands of grievers all over the world heal from the pain of personal loss for over three decades. The program is ACEs informed and was created with the awareness that adverse childhood events can have a permanent impact on a person’s wellbeing.
BENEFITS of completing the Workshop:
- Equips adults with specific tools for helping a child or any age and/or ability with a personal loss of any kind.
- Have the confidence and ability to communicate effectively and support them to recover from death, loss or change.
- Speaking to children about coronavirus and other uncertain circumstances.
- Finding the right words to address your staff or students in school
- Helping children through bereavement and loss with our book When Children Grieve
- Gaining confidence and practical tools for helping children with loss at home or in the classroom in a Helping Children with Loss program.
- You will receive a copy of Helping Children Grieve through the mail and a workbook via email.
- Advanced Loss & Grief Specialist, Joy Gaertner, will guide you through the process of how to support and equip your children through the loss.
- The workshop meets online on January 1 – January 27 for 4 consecutive Thursday afternoons, 1:00 – 3:00 p.m. EST (New York).
- The format will include a large group teaching time followed by small group breakout rooms to discuss the material.
- Each week there will be homework (will take about 1 hour each week) and optional reading from the book, Helping Children Grieve.
Additional Features will include
- weekly emails
- Individual access to Joy as you work through the process.